What To Do If Your Parents Cant or Wont Help Pay

What To Do If Your Parents Cant or Wont Help Pay

What To Do If Your Parents Cant or Wont Help Pay

This section of Finaid provides advice to students whose parents are unable or unwilling to help students pay for school. Regardless of the situation, some of the more common questions received by Finaid come from students seeking help because their parents cannot contribute to their education.

Finaid supports changes in federal legislation that would shift the burden to the students. Unfortunately, current federal law does not provide many options for students who want to go to college but whose parents refuse to help.

next page

Federal Government Policies on Parental Responsibility

personal loans for bad credit and low income

The federal government and the schools consider it priily’s responsibility to pay for school. They provide financial assistance only when the family is unable to pay. If a family just doesn’t want to pay, that won’t make a difference. Parents have a greater responsibility toward their children than the government or the schools.

The US Department of Education has published guidance to financial aid administrators indicating that neither parent refusal to contribute to the student’s education nor parent unwillingness to provide information on the student aid application or for verification is sufficient grounds for a dependency status override. This is true even if the parents do not claim the student as a dependent for income tax purposes or the student demonstrates total self-sufficiency.

In cases of divorce, the custodial parent is responsible for completing the FAFSA form. If the custodial parent remarries, the finances of the custodial parent’s spouse (the stepparent) must be included. This is clearly stated in Section 475(f)3 of the Higher Education Act of 1965 (Public Law 89-329), the piece of Federal legislation that authorizes most Federal student aid programs.

All public and private colleges follow the law not only for the awarding of federal and state student aid, but also for the awarding of the school’s own aid. In fact, many colleges go further and consider not only the custodial parent and stepparent’s income and assets, but also the income and assets of the non-custodial parent.

Prenuptial agreements are ignored in student aid need analysis. A prenuptial agreement is an agreement between the husband and wife, and as such cannot be binding on a third party, such as the government or the college. In addition, a prenuptial agreement cannot waive the obligation to help pay for the children’s education, as even a natural parent cannot waive the children’s rights. If the prenuptial agreement included a clause waiving the obligation to help pay for the children’s education, most courts would declare that clause null and void.

Advice for Students and Parents

Fortunately, there are ways for parents to help with their child’s education without having to provide financially. By providing a little clarity for both students and parents, both can end up on the same page when it comes to getting help to pay for school from other sources. Your first goal should be to encourage your parents to complete the financial aid forms. Even if they don’t want to help you pay for college costs, by refusing to complete the forms they prevent you from getting aid on your own account (e.g., government grants and student loans). After you have convinced them to complete the forms you can try getting them to help you pay for college.

What to do if your parents refuse to complete financial aid forms. Remind your parents that submitting the forms does not obligate them to provide support, but that if they refuse to file the FAFSA, you will not be eligible for any need-based aid on your own. College financial aid administrators are permitted to offer dependent students an unsubsidized Stafford loan without requiring the parents to file a FAFSA, provided that the financial aid administrator verifies that the parents have ended financial support and will not file the FAFSA. The unsubsidized Stafford loan is not based on financial need and is a loan, but at least it’s something to help you pay for school.

Partager cette publication